Apr 2, 2015

Brown Marx Tower

Posted by: Naaman

Built in 1906, Brown Marx was, for three years, the tallest structure in Birmingham.

Now it is sixteen stories of abandoned office space.


1.
Brown Marx

2.
Brown Marx

3.
Brown Marx

4.
Brown Marx

5.
Brown Marx

6.
Brown Marx

7.
Brown Marx

8.
Brown Marx

9.
Brown Marx

10.
Brown Marx

11.
Brown Marx

12.
Brown Marx

13.
Brown Marx

14.
Brown Marx

15.
Brown Marx

16.
Brown Marx

17.
Brown Marx

18.
Brown Marx

19.
Brown Marx

20.
Brown Marx

21.
Brown Marx

22.
Brown Marx

23.
Brown Marx

24.
Brown Marx

25.
Brown Marx

26.
Brown Marx

27.
Brown Marx

28.
Brown Marx

29.
Brown Marx

30.
Brown Marx

31.
Brown Marx

32.
Brown Marx

33.
Brown Marx

34.
Brown Marx

35.
Brown Marx

36.
Brown Marx

37.
Brown Marx

38.
Brown Marx

11 comments:

  1. Naaman,

    I am moving to Birmingham next month for work and when doing simple research on “Birmingham moving blogs” your blog post struck me…of course being listed “What’s Left of Birmingham”, naturally I was curious. I gotta say, it was kind of depressing to see as a future resident of Birmingham. I will say that your pictures are impressive, I love real-time photography, still-life. I would like to know if you think Birmingham is a failing city in general? Or if you are only highlighting particular areas/ towns / buildings.

    Thanks for the great information via wonderful photography.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to learn about the city and the different areas in it. The mountain that separates the area, the empty buildings, the resurrection of old haunts. I'd say it's coming around.

      Delete
    2. There a lot of really deep seeded problems that are really old. I'm really not an expert on the issues and seeming resurgence of the downtown area though. There are a few with big dreams that are trying really hard to revitalize but I have my doubts.

      Delete
    3. Might I point you in the direction of Wade Kwon

      http://wadeonbirmingham.com/#!/toc/2

      Delete
    4. A very late reply, but thanks for the mention, Naaman.

      Delete
  2. Hi I was wondering how you got inside to take pictures? I'm in a photography class and I've been wanting to take pictures in run down abandoned buildings but I went here and saw no way in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think he can answer that question; not that I am an expert but making one's way into many such places involves a willingness to face certain legal risks and one cannot explain in a public forum just how they did questionable things, iykwim. Each individual must understand the potential legal penalties one risks, unless one has obtained permission from a current owner which seldom happens due to liability of injury or death due to the unknown condition of the premises.

      Delete
  3. again, excellent work; your eye for detail combined with your talent for capturing scope and scale, are quite good. Sometimes when I see urban settings wiht multiple generators and turbines, I wonder that no one has looted them for the metal content.

    ReplyDelete